Thursday, February 5, 2015

Jane: The Origin Story

I want to take a step back and tell the story of how Jane came to be part of our world.  It's a little long but it's one of my favorite stories.


The story begins with my desire to be a mom. Now anyone who knows me knows I've always wanted children. When I was graduating high school and everyone was asking me what I wanted to do, I would answer, "I don't really know, but I do know I want to be a mom."  When Sam and I were engaged, I expressed my desire for children and he said he wanted kids too. Woohoo! On the same page, check!


Engagement
September 2010

There was a small problem though. When Sam and I were about to get married, the only income we had was Sam's part-time job at Best Buy. We had both left our camp jobs (where we had met) just a few months before. I had been keeping an eye out for a job but I hadn't found one yet. The job market was really rough. So we discussed it and decided we weren't financially stable enough for children at the time. Sam and I also felt very strongly about me being a stay at home mom once we had kids. Part of me still wanted to trust that God would provide even if He did give us a child then. The other part of me was saying it would be irresponsible to have a baby at that point of our lives. Since Sam wasn't comfortable with having kids yet, I was content with following my God given leader and waiting to have kids for a while, so I went on the pill. For two and a half years, I prayed that God would change Sam's heart when the time was right for us to have children and that God would give me patience until that time. And whaddaya know, God came through. I was completely content and thoroughly enjoyed our married years before kids.

We have fun
January 2011

Sam and I both worked part-time retail for almost 2 years. Then God lead Sam to a great full time job in the copier business. Just two months after Sam started his new job, God gave me the opportunity to work full time in Oil and Gas, at Argent Energy (the company my mom works at) as an accounting clerk. We both loved our new jobs! So we decided it would be a good idea to save up some money working our full time jobs for a while before we had kids.

Enjoying life together
September 2012

About six months into my new job, (I think it was June 2013) while I was working, all of a sudden I had a desire for children come over me like never before. It's hard to explain. Before, my desire for children felt like a far off dream or a nice idea. But this was like a calling or almost a need. The feeling of, I don't want to do anything else but hold my baby in my arms right now, no matter what it takes. It renewed the passion in my prayers for children. I didn't share this with anyone, not even Sam. If this feeling wasn't from God I didn't want it to sway him. Within a couple of weeks, the subject of when we would have kids came up for some reason, I don't remember why. Sam said, "whenever." I said, "what do you mean by whenever?" He said,"I mean, I think I finally realize God will provide for us when we have a kid, so whenever is fine." I said, "Wow, ok!" So I asked if he would want me to come off the pill then, he thought maybe I should at least be at my job a year before I did. I was cool with that. Another couple weeks went by and I ended up saying something about coming off the pill in November and he seemed a little uncomfortable with how soon it seemed and said maybe at the beginning of the new year instead. I was a little disappointed that he wanted to push it back more, but it didn't bother me too much. A couple days later, I had a strong feeling that I needed to ask God to prepare Sam's heart for sooner. When I did, I heard God answer back to me, "If you believe I can work in Sam's heart, then you need to be prepared for it to happen!" So I did some research to see if there was anything I needed to know about coming off the pill. I also looked up if there was anything I could do to promote a healthy pregnancy before getting pregnant. Within that same week, Sam and I were eating at Taco Bell and he said "Oh yeah, I was going to tell you... you can come off the pill now if you want." He explained by saying God had showed him that preventing pregnancy was like telling God, "no, I know better than you and I don't want you to bless me." I was thrilled!! God blew me away. I've never had Him speak so clearly to me and then answer a prayer so quickly and evidently. Then I told Sam about my feelings and prayers of the last month. He thought it was all pretty awesome too. About two months after that wonderful conversation at Taco Bell, I was pregnant with Jane. :)


Pregnancy Announcement
October 2013

There you have it. Jane is an amazing, answered prayer and testimony of God working in my life and desires. I may be biased, but I think she is destined for great things.


 Haha! funny newborn faces
2 weeks old

With a face like that how could she not be? ;)


Already looking happy.
1 week old

I like the idea of ending with a couple verses. I think I'll try to do that with every blog post.

Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.


Psalm 127:3-5
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one's youth
Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them;
They shall not be ashamed,
But shall speak with their enemies in the gate.

We are blessed
5 weeks old


5 comments:

  1. Wow. Those words from Sam are almost exactly how I felt God telling me to quit taking the pill so many years ago. It's why we have Joseph...God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Psalm 37:4 has been a life verse for me since we surrendered to missions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this sooooo much! I love that I even learned new little specifics about this story, and that you have this little record of those memories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Yes, I wanted to share the story for sure, but I also wanted to write it so I wouldn't forget it.

      Delete