Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Baby #2 weeks 10-17

Searching for a health care provider for your pregnancy is not an easy task! There are so many choices. Because of the enormity of choice, it becomes hard to find someone in the multitudes that will be right for you and your pregnancy. It's important to find someone who you are confident in and comfortable with so they can help enable you to have the birth you want. For me, I would like to have a natural birth with no pain medication. That's the birth I was blessed to have with Jane, after a bit of suspense and a transfer to the hospital that is. I would like to have that again, minus the suspense and a transfer to the hospital. ;)

The first choice I had to make was whether to have a home or hospital birth. If money was not a factor I would choose a home birth over a hospital birth. Because I had a birth center bill and a hospital bill with Jane, I ended up paying to have two babies and obviously, I only had one... The reason for this is health insurance companies do not list birth centers or midwives who provide home birth services as in network providers on their insurance. Which is ridiculous to me, because home birth is much less expensive and a safe option, but I digress. I won't be convincing any insurance companies that home birth should be in network...

Someone asked me why I didn't choose to go back to the birth center I went to with Jane. One reason is because where I was living at the time I was pregnant with Jane was much closer than it is to Kingwood. It's quite a drive from my house now. I don't want to make that kind of drive while in labor. The other reason is my insurance changed and it is now too expensive for us.

Because I didn't want to pay for two births again, I started to lean towards a hospital birth. Then I would be assured I wouldn't be transferred to the hospital since I would already be there! I talked to a few people who are supportive of natural birth about natural hospital births. Some were midwives, others doulas and some who have just had babies of their own. (I don't really have any experience, because the doctors didn't have a chance to do anything to me since Jane was born almost as soon as we arrived.) Pretty much everyone I talked to told me how hard it is to have a birth in a hospital without them pushing some intervention on you and that it's a fight to have the birth you want. It was disappointing to hear.

So I was back to square one and I wasn't sure what to do. My mom then told me she felt that I should contact a midwife that was referred to me by a couple of friends back when I was pregnant with Jane. I took my mom's advice and got in touch with Sallie. The reason I didn't contact this particular midwife when I was pregnant with Jane was because the house I lived in at the time wasn't close to a hospital. Also, I wouldn't have felt comfortable giving birth in that rental house.

From the first phone call with Sallie I could tell she was going to be a great midwife for me. I'm not much of a chatty phone person, but Sallie and I ended up talking for about an hour. She had lots of insights to my labor with Jane and ideas that we could have tried to help things along and not end up in the hospital. Of course, I'll never know if it would have changed anything. I learned a lot through my first labor experience and everything worked out in the end, but it was good to hear how much knowledge she has and how many natural ideas she has for helping labor progress.

The only thing that would have held me back from choosing Sallie as my midwife was the possibility having to pay for two births again if some complication should happen to arise. What gave me peace about choosing Sallie is the ministry she's done and continues to do. She has been going to abortion clinics for about 30 years and convincing women not to have abortions and choose life instead. The reason she became a midwife was so she could offer her services free of charge to women considering abortions and give them another option. One day she would like to go to villages around the world and teach women to be midwives and give them the ability to deliver babies safely. So even if I end up being transferred to a hospital for some reason, I know that at least some of my money will be going to someone I respect and can enable her to continue with her ministry.

That pretty much wraps up my search for health care provider for my pregnancy. I am very happy with my choice. She's been calming, encouraging and informative each appointment I've had with her. I feel that my baby and I are in good hands.

Little bitty bump. 14 Weeks.

As far as my pregnancy is going so far, everything is great! Baby's heart rate is healthy and he/she is already very active. I've been feeling kicks for the past week or so now. A lot earlier than with Jane. I didn't feel Jane until almost 19 or 20 weeks. The baby's heart rate is slower than Jane's was which might indicate that it's a boy, but of course, you never know! Similar to last time I don't have many cravings, but I always love a good burger! I do feel like I have more food aversions though, but I'm doing my best to eat healthy!

First item bought specifically for Baby #2

Second trimester is always my favorite! I love the feeling of little baby kicks. 17 weeks seems to be the time when I start feeling a lot better.  We'll be finding out whether we're having a girl or a boy in just a couple weeks. :)

My Babies. :)


Deuteronomy 30:19
I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; 

No comments:

Post a Comment